From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:37:17
1 >>>> I wouldn't use XFS unless
2 >>>> it was all that was left. I tried it once a while back and found out it
3 >>>> does not like power failures at all. Each time I had a power failure, I
4 >>>> had to reinstall from scratch.
5 >>> Hmm, I use it because of its resistance to power failures. When was it that
6 >>> you had such problems?
7 >> Its been a while but it happened several times. I just got tired of
8 >> having to reinstall every time the power blinked. Turned out the wire
9 >> was loose on the transformer so they blinked a lot, every couple days or
10 >> so. I think it was Mandrake 9.2.
11 >>
12 >> I have had a power failure or two with reiserfs and it recovered. It
13 >> did the check thing but ran fine.
14 >>
15 >> Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.
16 > I have a similar story, but for me it was JFS instead of XFS. I will
17 > never, ever, ever use JFS for anything again. I had XFS on a file
18 > server RAID box with a failing power supply and it died over and over
19 > and the FS stayed functional, so YMMV indeed. (I haven't tried reiser,
20 > I'm still scared about the corruption stories from years ago.)
21 >
22 > I suppose if you ask enough people, there will be horror stories about
23 > every filesystem.
24 I use reiserfs and I twice got serious filesystem corruptions after
25 crashes, and one was very serious. It is unclear whether this was
26 reiserfs's fault or the hardware. You see, I was using athcool to save
27 electricity, and it seems that when the bit "Disconnect enable when
28 STPGNT detected" is set on the Northbridge (this is what athcool does)
29 and you are using a PixelView PV-M4900 FM.RC (specially if you are
30 recording tv - with mencoder - as opposed to just viewing it - with
31 mplayer), your computer malfunctions.
32 I was able to recover much of the data with reiserfsck --rebuild-tree,
33 but some of the files had part of their content replaced with a string
34 of null bytes. I heard somewhere that reiserfs is infamous for
35 replacing file content with a string of null bytes, so maybe this is
36 indeed reiserfs fault, and not just bad hardware.
37
38 By the way, I chose reiserfs (some 3 years ago I believe) because of
39 its speed fame, but now, thinking of it, there are only four computer
40 activities that make my system slow:
41 1) launch heavy programs such as firefox (when not in cache)
42 2) compile software
43 3) view certain web pages in firefox
44 4) encode video
45
46 Now, since I usually compile software in a tmpfs, I guess the
47 filesystem makes nearly zero difference. Video encoding is obviously
48 bound by CPU, cache and RAM speed, not filesystem. Web rendering is
49 also hardly affected by filesystem . And launching programs means
50 mostly reading files, and would reiserfs be significantly faster than
51 ext3 for this, specially considering that my system is minimalist and
52 the root partition is only 7% used?
53
54 So it seems I should not have chosen reiserfs, which has a fame of
55 being less safe than ext3, and certainly has less software support
56 than ext3. The next time I format my root partition, I will choose
57 ext3 (then move to ext4 when it is stable).
60 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds