From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:08:00
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2
3 > I was able to recover much of the data with reiserfsck --rebuild-tree,
4 > but some of the files had part of their content replaced with a string
5 > of null bytes. I heard somewhere that reiserfs is infamous for
6 > replacing file content with a string of null bytes, so maybe this is
7 > indeed reiserfs fault, and not just bad hardware.
8
9 no, that is xfs.
10
11 > So it seems I should not have chosen reiserfs, which has a fame of
12 > being less safe than ext3, and certainly has less software support
13 > than ext3. The next time I format my root partition, I will choose
14 > ext3 (then move to ext4 when it is stable).
15
16 reiserfs has barriers turned on by default - which makes it a bit slower but a
17 lot safer for data. ext3 has them turned off by default - ext3 devs don't care
18 about data - only speed. You turn on barriers, performance goes down by 30%.