From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 03:34:46
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Sonntag, 15. April 2007, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
3 >
4 >> The mailing list is still active,
5 >> but the lack of a current release seems to indicate that the Gentoo
6 >> project is no longer truly active.
7 >>
8 >> Thanks in advance,
9 >>
10 >> Tom Veldhouse
13 > a) gentoo is not about releases.
14 >
15 I understand that. BUT ... it was announced long ago that there was a
16 quarterly release plan starting in 2005. It was followed for only one year?
17 > b) the 1.4 release took ages.
18 >
19 Indeed ... and then came the apparently aborted plan to do quarterly
20 releases.
21 > c) the real indicator of activity is the amount of changes in the portage
22 > tree. And surprise! There is the usual high amount of updated, removed or new
23 > ebuilds.
24 >
25 Yes, not an indicator of quality or progress, just commits.
26 > d) if you want more releases, become a dev and join rel-eng.
27 >
28 I don't necessarily want more releases. I DO want to know what happened
29 to the release schedule.
30 > e) if you look here you'll see that the gentoo-dev ml is as active as always
31 > in the last couple of years.
32 > http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&r=1&w=2
33 >
34 Good to hear.