From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:42:33
1 Hello Thomas T. Veldhouse,
2
3 > > a) gentoo is not about releases.
4 > >
5 > I understand that. BUT ... it was announced long ago that there was a
6 > quarterly release plan starting in 2005. It was followed for only one
7 > year?
8
9 That's right. It was quickly discovered that forcing a quarterly release
10 schedule on releng was impractical, so they switched to bi-annual
11 releases from 2006. 2007.0 was originally scheduled for release in
12 February, but the profile has only just hit the portage tree. The actual
13 release should not be too far off now.
14
15 Aside from the new hardware situation, there is another reason for
16 release, especially on schedule ones, publicity. Magazines like to
17 include new releases on their cover discs and want to carry reviews of
18 new releases (not betas). I was asked to review 2007.0 three months ago,
19 based on the original release schedule, I'm still waiting to do so. That
20 is lost positive publicity for Gentoo, at a time when it is getting
21 plenty of publicity and precious little of it positive.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Don't put all your hypes in one home page.