From: Jeremy McSpadden <deface@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to match kernel and udev/lvm2 ?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:06:30
1 Check to see if you have CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 enabled in kernel.
2 zgrep CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 /proc/config.gz
5 On Apr 5, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
8 > edit: didn't get through at first try?
9 >
10 > -
11 >
12 > *WARNING* ---- old stuff mentioned, pls don't say "get up to date"
13 >
14 > ;-)
15 >
16 > ------------>
17 >
18 > greets,
19 >
20 > another special question today:
21 >
22 > I had an issue w/ a customer server yesterday.
23 >
24 > It still runs kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 due to the fact that they still
25 > run vmware-server-1.0.8.126538 and the related modules.
26 >
27 > Back then I figured out that newer vmware-modules wouldn't compile w/
28 > newer kernels ... and so on.
29 >
30 > In fact they don't want to spend money on upgrading (vmware-server etc)
31 > because there will be a new and shiny server later this year.
32 >
33 > -
34 >
35 > But the guy asked me if we could swap harddrives to add space, and
36 > increase the LVM volume group etc.
37 >
38 > I said yes .. and upgraded stuff like udev and lvm2 a few weeks ago,
39 > just in case and to have the latest releases. It hit us yesterday when
40 > he swapped a fan and at reboot udev didn't create proper sdX and mdX
41 > devices anymore ...
42 >
43 > So I had to downgrade udev and lvm2 again to fit that ancient kernel. I
44 > used genlop to check which versions were installed at the time the last
45 > successful boot had happened.
46 >
47 > Right now I have:
48 >
49 > sys-fs/udev-124-r2
50 >
51 > sys-fs/lvm2-2.02-56-r2
52 >
53 > yep, old.
54 >
55 > The question: how to find out (without much trial and error) which
56 > releases of udev and lvm2 are the best/newest to use with that kernel?
57 >
58 > I don't want too much old bugs in the box on one hand while on the other
59 > hand I have to mask pkgs to keep it running.
60 >
61 > Maybe one of you has a hint for me.
62 >
63 > Thanks in advance, best regards, Stefan