From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Homebuilt Mobo bundles
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:11:34
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 06 November 2009 17:57:09 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
7 >>>
8 >>>> [OT]
9 >>>> Why does everyone else have a CPU that is so much hotter than
10 >>>>
11 > mine.
12 >
13 >>>> Mine has never been over 40C or about 100F and I run folding
14 >>>>
15 > with my rig
16 >
17 >>>> in my bedroom. Even back when this rig was new and people had
18 >>>>
19 > rigs
20 >
21 >>>> close to mine, I still ran cooler. I'm even air cooled. Water
22 >>>>
23 > and
24 >
25 >>>> puters make me nervous.
26 >>>> [/OT]
27 >>>>
28 >>> I'd be mighty suspicious of a incorrect sensor. There is really
29 >>>
30 > no
31 >
32 >>> way the cpu itself is never over 102. Assuming, that is, we're
33 >>>
34 > not
35 >
36 >>> talking about a `vic-20', or `commodore 64'. and I would not be
37 >>>
38 > surprised
39 >
40 >>> if those cpus didn't go over 100.
41 >>>
42 >> This is a Abit NF7 v2.0 mobo with a AMD 2500+ CPU. I have even
43 >>
44 > checked
45 >
46 >> the BIOS temps and they are very close, if not a little lower,
47 >>
48 > than what
49 >
50 >> Gkrellm reports. From what I have found with google, no one has
51 >> reported them to have errors. I figure the only reason the BIOS
52 >>
53 > may be
54 >
55 >> a little lower is that it is just starting up.
56 >>
57 >> I don't have any reason not to think they are correct. The temps
58 >>
59 > change
60 >
61 >> with load and a change in room temp. I have seen it get close to
62 >>
63 > 100F
64 >
65 >> when I forgot to leave the A/C on one time. I do have a large CPU
66 >> cooler tho. It's a ThermalTake Volcano 12 with the fans set to
67 >>
68 > adjust
69 >
70 >> with the temps.
73 > The various CPU temp sensors do measure something the the way they
74 > rise and fall often correlates to the actual temperature, but not to
75 > a temperature scale.
79 I could pull out my IR temp sensor. See what it says. It's accurate to
80 within 1F or so.
81
82 Dale
83