From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Homebuilt Mobo bundles
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:48:14
1 On Friday 06 November 2009 17:57:09 Dale wrote:
2 > Harry Putnam wrote:
3 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
4 > >> [OT]
5 > >> Why does everyone else have a CPU that is so much hotter than
6 mine.
7 > >> Mine has never been over 40C or about 100F and I run folding
8 with my rig
9 > >> in my bedroom. Even back when this rig was new and people had
10 rigs
11 > >> close to mine, I still ran cooler. I'm even air cooled. Water
12 and
13 > >> puters make me nervous.
14 > >> [/OT]
15 > >
16 > > I'd be mighty suspicious of a incorrect sensor. There is really
17 no
18 > > way the cpu itself is never over 102. Assuming, that is, we're
19 not
20 > > talking about a `vic-20', or `commodore 64'. and I would not be
21 surprised
22 > > if those cpus didn't go over 100.
23 >
24 > This is a Abit NF7 v2.0 mobo with a AMD 2500+ CPU. I have even
25 checked
26 > the BIOS temps and they are very close, if not a little lower,
27 than what
28 > Gkrellm reports. From what I have found with google, no one has
29 > reported them to have errors. I figure the only reason the BIOS
30 may be
31 > a little lower is that it is just starting up.
32 >
33 > I don't have any reason not to think they are correct. The temps
34 change
35 > with load and a change in room temp. I have seen it get close to
36 100F
37 > when I forgot to leave the A/C on one time. I do have a large CPU
38 > cooler tho. It's a ThermalTake Volcano 12 with the fans set to
39 adjust
40 > with the temps.
41
42 The various CPU temp sensors do measure something the the way they
43 rise and fall often correlates to the actual temperature, but not to
44 a temperature scale.
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com