From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo from ext3 to ext4
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:07:52
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Rodolphe Rocca-2 wrote:
6 >>
7 >> reQuiem23 wrote:
8 >>> Hi all,
9 >>>
10 >>> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
11 >>> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab,
12 >>> add
13 >>> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot
14 >>> is
15 >>> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
16 >>> is
17 >>> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
19 >>> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
20 >>> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
21 >>> system reboots.
22 >>>
23 >>> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
24 >>> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
25 >>> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
26 >>> information because i can't get to a working shell :(
27 >>>
28 >>> Greetings,
29 >>> Niklas
30 >>>
31 >> grub is not compatible with ext4
36 > yeah, but my /boot is still ext3 and grub IS actually loading the system, it
37 > even runs uvesafb. or is grub even incompatible with ext4 root-filesystems?
38 > i thought this was entirely handled by the kernel.
39
40 I have ext4 root filesystem on 2 machines running gentoo & grub and
41 it's working fine. Don't give up :)