From: reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo from ext3 to ext4
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:58:36
1 Rodolphe Rocca-2 wrote:
2 >
3 > reQuiem23 wrote:
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>
6 >> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
7 >> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab,
8 >> add
9 >> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot
10 >> is
11 >> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
12 >> is
13 >> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
15 >> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
16 >> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
17 >> system reboots.
18 >>
19 >> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
20 >> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
21 >> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
22 >> information because i can't get to a working shell :(
23 >>
24 >> Greetings,
25 >> Niklas
26 >>
27 > grub is not compatible with ext4
32 yeah, but my /boot is still ext3 and grub IS actually loading the system, it
33 even runs uvesafb. or is grub even incompatible with ext4 root-filesystems?
34 i thought this was entirely handled by the kernel.
37 Sent from the gentoo-user mailing list archive at Nabble.com.