From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS problem
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:58:19
1 On Monday 07 January 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > Randy Barlow wrote:
3 > > Dale wrote:
4 > >> On my system hpijs was a blocker if I recall correctly. I read
5 > >> somewhere that hpijs was no longer being maintained and that hplip was
6 > >> the "new thing" to use. Not sure why tho.
7 > >>
8 > >> Also may be worth noting that hplip used to be a service that was
9 > >> started as well. /etc/init.d/hplip start used to work. The latest
10 > >> update got rid of the service and I guess it just runs when it is
11 > >> needed.
12 > >
13 > > I should clarify my question a bit more. I don't have the hpijs package
14 > > installed. I do have hplip. Yet when I try to select the driver for my
15 > > printer, hpijs is the only option of the two. I know that hplip
16 > > includes hpijs, but I was looking for a driver called hplip and didn't
17 > > see it...
18 >
19 > Did you run hp-setup? You may want to re-emerge hplip and read the
20 > messages there. I may be forgetting something it said to do.
21 >
22 > Also, check your error logs. Should be in /var/log. Depends on what
23 > logger you use as to the name of it. Mine is messages tho.
24 >
25 > Post back what you find out from that. May give us a clue.
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
29 > :-) :-)
30
31 What happens if under Device, you select: HP Printer (HPLIP) ?
32
33 Also, have a look at http://localhost:631/help/network.html for defining the
34 path (for network printers). However, I don't want to send you off scent here
35 because I have not set up a USB printer before, so I am not sure what steps
36 ought to be followed (if udev rules are desired and what not). I would have
37 thought that guidance in this
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#usb ought to help.
39 --
40 Regards,