From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] BOINC on a hardened system?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 08:24:57
1 Hello list,
2
3 I have a small box as a web development host, running hardened-sources,
4 which I'll also want to expose to the Internet for odd periods. As that load
5 is so light, I thought it might be a good idea to put the spare CPU to some
6 use by running BOINC.
7
8 The startup script, however, changes the entire boinc directory's ownership
9 to the user nominated in /etc/conf.d/boinc. The problem is that, on a
10 hardened system, the ca-bundle.crt file must be owned by root.
11
12 This could be fixed with a small addition to the startup script, but before I
13 open a bug, does the panel think I ought to be running BOINC on an exposed
14 system? I don't know any of its history to argue one way or the other, but
15 the team does try to avoid security lapses.
18 Regards
19 Peter