From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc builds but won't install
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:08:58
1 darren kirby wrote:
2 > Also, I have rebuilt the glibc several times through this ordeal,
3 > and at 5-6 hours per pop it is getting tedious to try new things.
4 > Glibc _was_ built correctly, so is there anyway I can manually
5 > copy the rest of the files from the portage sandbox to the live
6 > filesystem without having to rebuild it again?
7
8 Yes,
9
10 ebuild /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.3.5.ebuild merge
11
12 or whatever precise ebuild you were trying to emerge. It detects
13 that the package is already compiled and skips that step, simply
14 keeps the work, and installs it.
15
16 > The problem is that whatever files get copied before it craps out
17 > are in the live filesystem, while files after are not copied, so
18 > I have a mish-mash of old and new glibc files installed.
19
20 When updating such an important package as glibc, it might be wise
21 to first use quickpkg, to create a binary package of the existing
22 glibc, one that can be reinstalled in a minute or two (with emerge
23 -K) when the update goes wrong. Myself I don't do this by the way,
24 (:), but seeing as yours is a server...
25
26 Benno
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list