From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc builds but won't install
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:39:23
1 quoth the Benno Schulenberg:
2 > darren kirby wrote:
3 > > I do use grsecurity kernel, but no file ACL's or anything,
4 >
5 > Have you tried booting into a vanilla kernel, listing the dir and
6 > removing the files? If that succeeds, you know a little more.
7 >
8 > Benno
9
10 Hello,
11
12 A good suggestion, but this is a live server, so downtime is an issue.
13
14 However, I took Joe's advice and simply renamed the locales directory, and
15 created a new one. This seemed to work fine but then I ran into this:
16
17 >>> /usr/share/info/libc.info-8.gz
18 >>> /usr/share/info/libc.info-9.gz
19 --- /usr/share/zoneinfo/
20 !!! copy /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5/image/usr/share/zoneinfo/GB
21 -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB failed.
22 !!! [Errno 13] Permission denied
23
24 So it would seem The zoneinfo directory has similar screwy permissions.
25 While it appears I can get around this, I don't like the idea of all these
26 files that I can't touch. Has anyone seen something like this?
27
28 Also, I have rebuilt the glibc several times through this ordeal, and at 5-6
29 hours per pop it is getting tedious to try new things. Glibc _was_ built
30 correctly, so is there anyway I can manually copy the rest of the files from
31 the portage sandbox to the live filesystem without having to rebuild it
32 again?
33
34 The problem is that whatever files get copied before it craps out are in the
35 live filesystem, while files after are not copied, so I have a mish-mash of
36 old and new glibc files installed. To me, this is going to cause issues down
37 the road...
38
39 Thanks for the help,
40 darren
41 --
42 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
43 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
44 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972