From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 5
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 18:34:24
1 Having to install some parts of Plasma does not mean you have to use it as
2 your desktop.
3
4 On Tuesday 12 Jul 2016 20:06:05 Jens Reinemuth wrote:
5 > Hi...
6 >
7 > I am using kde5 daily at work in a PC and a laptop, @ home in an other PC...
8 > It is usable as long as you dont use kdepim / akonadi with e.g. mailing
9 > lists...
10
11 I don't use the full plasma desktop, but use KDEPIM and some other KDE apps
12 with all their unavoidable dependencies. It is usable for me, on two machines
13 where akonadi is running on MySQL and on my laptop with PostgreSQL.
14
15 I use enlightenment as my day to day DE and Fluxbox as a fall back.
18 > As soon as my count of Mails grow over some thousands, akonadi
19 > simply stops working, that means is no longer fetching or displaying
20 > Mails... so yes, the desktop is cool and stable pim is not really since
21 > some versions...
22
23 You need some CPU horsepower and patience to let akonadi index all messages in
24 the database. If your PC is resource constrained it'll have trouble managing
25 large mail boxes. I remember a Pentium Duo with 4G RAM taking overnight to
26 update my mailboxes, which in their totality contained more than 125,000
27 messages.
28
29 When I repeated the exercise with fewer messages (less than 5,000) the
30 response was much more reasonable. it took a few minutes, rather than hours.
33 Regards,
34 Mick