From: "François-Xavier Carton" <fx.carton@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 18:10:51
1 On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 10:12:08PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I am afraid this is an ".. it depends" question.
5 Yes, I agree.
6
7 > If you work with large images or data sets, swap can be really handy.
8 > If you are doing a little programming, web browsing, reading email you
9 > will *probably* be ok, but why risk it?
12 Risk what? Having the OOM killer kill the problematic process? Depending
13 on your usage, this might be the best. Personally I prefer that to a
14 system that is stuck. I never had to force reboot on a system without
15 swap, whereas with swap I had to reboot most of the times swap was used.
16 Also it's super annoying when your system freezes because of a
17 background process swapping (eg. an emerge world update) while your
18 doing something else.
19
20 I've been running a 8GB system for a year, before that a 4GB system.
21 Both without swap. It's been fine so far. I did have processes killed
22 (eg. firefox compiling), but at least I can continue to use my system
23 without being interrupted by a freeze. It's a lot less frustrating to
24 have to resume a killed compilation than to deal with a frozen system.
25
26 > I have a 32gb ram in a master server for an mfs filesystem - it normally
27 > sits at about 5GB of ram - however it can go well over 32Gb into swap at
28 > times - the first machine I tried it with only had 4gb ram and crashed
29 > when it filled the ram, and 8g swap taking the test file system with it
30 > - its now production so I am not going to risk it by underprovisioning
31 > swap.  My 32Gb desktop is not using any swap at the moment ... but it
32 > has used it at times.
33 >
34 > So, yes its quite likely you wont use swap - but if you do something
35 > that needs it, it can help avoid a very messy crash.
36 >
37 > Swap is slow, but if you actually need it - its probably critical that
38 > you have it!  Unless you are really short of disk space, treat it as
39 > insurance :)
40 >
41 > Look into using swapfiles instead of partitions for flexibility, and the
42 > sysctl values of "vm.swappiness" and "vm.vfs_cache_pressure" to manage
43 > swap usage (you can set to not use swap until it really has to - some
44 > have seen the kernel being too eager to swap out causing slowdowns,
45 > though you can make it go in the other direction and "thrash" when it
46 > actually needs to use swap if you go to far.  The default kernel swap
47 > mechanism isn't really that bad!
50 Swapfiles are great, because you can only add them when you need and
51 remove them when you're done. I sometimes use them when emerging large
52 stuff when I have other big processes in memory.
53
54 > So yes, most of my machines don't need swap *right now* and swap looks
55 > like its not being used so it could be removed, but I cant guarantee
56 > that they never will, and having years of experience using swap I
57 > recommend that its better to be cautious and survive :)
58
59 My systems usually survive (are not forcibly rebooted) better when there
60 is no swap. But I agree that in the end, it depends on the usage.