From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google Mail still not recognising Gentoo KMail
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 09:54:24
1 On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 17:04:10 GMT Jack wrote:
2 > On 2019.11.06 11:30, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > A recent message prompted me to try creating a google mail account
4 > > again, to collect my gmail.com email, but it still says "This app is not
5 > > yet authorised..." (I think that's the wording).
6 > >
7 > > Is there anything a mere user can do to expedite closing this hole?
8 > > It's been open for some months now.
9 >
10 > If you mean that's the message your local email app is getting from
11 > gmail when trying to retrieve messages, I suspect it's the "less secure
12 > application" issue. If that's the case, then you either need to use
13 > OAUTH2 to authorize your mail client to Google, or else set the "OK to
14 > use less secure applications" through the settings through the gmail
15 > web interface. gmail simply calls any mail client which does not use
16 > OAUTH2 to be "less secure."
17 >
18 > If that's not the case, then we need a few more details about what's
19 > going on.
20
21 No, it's what Google's authentication screen says. My local email app is
22 KMail, as I said.
23
24 I used the Create Account wizard in KMail, gave my credentials, entered the
25 confirmation code from my mobile and was told:
26
27 "Sign in with Google temporarily disabled for this app
28
29 "This app has not yet been verified by Google in order to use Google Sign in"
30
31 I tried again, but creating a Custom Account. Some of the authentication
32 Methods offered by KMail are not usable with GMail; others get a refusal from
33 Google: "Application-specific password required." There's no mention of oauth2
34 in any dialogue.
37 Regards,
38 Peter.