From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving an installed system to RAID10
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 22:10:16
1 On Samstag 02 Mai 2009, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
2 > Jim Cunning wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 02 May 2009 13:43:27 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > >> how do you do 10 with only two disks? You need four!
5 > >> the kernel is able to autoassemble - so you don't need an initrd - me I
6 > >> hate initrds.
7 > >
8 > > RAID10 = RAID1+0. It works fine with 2 disks. I was able to create it
9 > > first with one drive missing and then add the second, which sync'ed
10 > > without problems.
11 >
12 > Theoretically, for RAID 10, you need 4 disks, two raid 1's then used to
13 > make a RAID 0 (or the other way round, I forget....)
14 >
15 > BUT, mdadm will use partitions instead of disks.....So you can make a
16 > RAID 10 where each stripe takes up half the disk, and the stripes are
17 > mirrored on each disk....Or each disk is mirrored on itself, and the two
18 > disks stripped....Or something....
19 >
20 > Won't give you the performance advantages of RAID 10 though, but will
21 > still waste half your space.....
22
23 even worse - performance will be even more reduced because the harddisk not
24 only have to write the own stripe but the mirrored one too. Results in more
25 seeking. Seeking = bad.
26
27 Simple Raid1 would be a lot better. And since Raid1 is 'striping' the read
28 accesses two you have a nice little improvement there.