From: Anthony Metcalf <nevyn@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving an installed system to RAID10
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 21:46:30
1 Jim Cunning wrote:
2 > On Saturday 02 May 2009 13:43:27 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> how do you do 10 with only two disks? You need four!
5 >> the kernel is able to autoassemble - so you don't need an initrd - me I
6 >> hate initrds.
9 > RAID10 = RAID1+0. It works fine with 2 disks. I was able to create it first
10 > with one drive missing and then add the second, which sync'ed without
11 > problems.
12 Theoretically, for RAID 10, you need 4 disks, two raid 1's then used to
13 make a RAID 0 (or the other way round, I forget....)
14
15 BUT, mdadm will use partitions instead of disks.....So you can make a
16 RAID 10 where each stripe takes up half the disk, and the stripes are
17 mirrored on each disk....Or each disk is mirrored on itself, and the two
18 disks stripped....Or something....
19
20 Won't give you the performance advantages of RAID 10 though, but will
21 still waste half your space.....
22
23 I would prefer a mirror over the complexity of RAID10 with two disks.....