From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Last rites: app-admin/gkrellm & plugins
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:25:01
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 1/28/23 05:35, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Saturday, 28 January 2023 09:17:35 GMT Michael wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Since my coding ability is even worse than Dale's I join him in kindly
6 >>> asking for a maintainer/dev to take it on and keep it running.
7 >> I too am finding it hard to imagine life without gkrellm. I think it
8 >> needs more
9 >> than just a maintainer though - it needs a replacement for upstream
10 >> as well.
11 >
12 > I"m actually the one who first heard that the original maintainer had
13 > died.  (I had written to him about some support issue, and got a
14 > belated reply from his brother.)  Upstream is not dead at all, the
15 > activity level is just fairly low.  I tried to post to -dev, but my
16 > message never got through, not sure if it's because I'm not a dev or I
17 > made some other error in sending.  The homepage is at
18 > htttps://gkrellm.srcbox.net with source at
19 > https://git.srcbox.net/gkrellm/gkrellm.
20 >
21 > The main problem is that is still uses gtk+2.  They do have an open
22 > issue about that, but most of the discussion has been on why it would
23 > be so hard to upgrade.  There is apparently a lot of fairly low-level
24 > graphics stuff going on, and Bill himself (the original maintainer)
25 > said something like the conversion to gkt+3 would be difficult, but to
26 > go to gtk+4 (I have no idea how far off this is) would essentially be
27 > a re-write.
28 >
29 > Jack
30
31 So whoever takes it over will have some serious work to do in the short
32 term and even more work in the future.  I hope upstream is able to keep
33 gkrellm alive.  It sounds like quite a task.
34
35 I'm glad to hear that upstream is still alive, even if moving slowly.
36 Maybe they working on a rewrite but not saying anything publicly.  Hey,
37 if we gonna hope, hope big.  ;-)
38
39 Thanks for this info.  Maybe there is hope.  I just hope they cancel the
40 last rites too.
41
42 Dale
43
45
46 P.S.  They did last rites on Gnome mplayer ages ago.  I still have the
47 thing installed and use it quite often.  I use smplayer for watching on
48 my TV but use Gnome player to watch something on my puter monitor,
49 usually something short.  Even tho it is removed from the tree, it still
50 works.  Every once in a while I run up on a new video with some encoding
51 Gnome mplayer doesn't support.  I use QMplayer2 as a backup.  I guess
52 gkrellm would work for a while if it was removed.  It may even compile
53 for a while to, for those who put a ebuild in a local overlay to install.