From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT vm WinXp] Can WinXp be Vm app from gentoo?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 06:19:40
1 On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 23:40 -0400, C Lee Davis wrote:
2 > Daevid Vincent wrote:
3 > > Why does everyone always assume people are pirates or in search of
4 > > warez. I don't see why someone couldn't put up a copy of XP or Vista or
5 > > whatever that is unactivated, yet all installed and ready to go
6 > > (everything but the CPU is emulated in VMWare, so it could be possible,
7 > > and even the XP CPU is a generic x86 compatible, not like it's optimized
8 > > AFAIK). Then one could just plop in their key to activate it for reals
9 > > to get "WGA certifed".
10 > >
11 > Because, as far as I can tell (and IANAL), that would be illegal. I don't have
12 > a license to distribute Windows XP.
13
14 hm, don't know about the distribution side, but you can sure install any
15 version of Vista you like, from the one Vista DVD without a license /
16 activation. Only the one you have a license for can run for more than
17 30 days (or some number) though.
22 Better tried by twelve than carried by six.
23 -- Jeff Cooper
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list