From: Nick Fortino <nfortino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild problem
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 05:35:42
1 John P. Burkett wrote:
2 > Doing revdep-rebuild on an amd64 machine, I received a response
3 > the included the following lines:
4 > * All prepared. Starting rebuild
5 > emerge --oneshot app-text/xpdf:0
6 > gnome-base/gnome-panel:0
7 > kde-base/kdegraphics:3.5
8 > mail-client/-MERGING-evolution:2.0
9 > media-plugins/gst-plugins-faad:0.8
10 > media-plugins/xmms-alsa:0
11 > media-plugins/xmms-vorbis:0
12 > media-video/totem:0
13 > ..........
14 > Calculating dependencies... done!
15 > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy
16 > "mail-client/-MERGING-evolution:2.0".
17 >
18 > After doing emerge -C evolution, I redid revdep-rebuild but got the same
19 > response. After doing emerge evolution, I again redid revdep-rebuild,
20 > with the same results.
21 >
22 > Suggestions for how to successfully run revdep-rebuild would be most
23 > welcome. I'm willing to sacrifice evolution if that would help.
26 Hmm, somehow portage got the idea there is a package named
27 mail-client/-MERGING-evolution, which is false. If you are lucky:
28 emerge -avC mail-client/-MERGING-evolution
29
30 Although that could fail, as package names aren't supposed to start with
31 -, so who knows what portage does with it. Next shot, clear out anything
32 you don't need (make sure to check the output, although these days this
33 command is safe unless you have done something strange).
34 emerge -av --depclean
35
36 Final shot is to play around in /var/db/pkg. This is where portage keeps
37 track of what is installed, and how, so messing around here is
38 inherently unsafe. I have my suspicions as to the correct thing to do
39 here, but I won't post it since I'm not terribly sure. Someone with more
40 expertise could help here, but I suspect either method 1 or 2 will work.
41
42 Nick