From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild problem
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 07:11:53
1 Nick Fortino wrote:
2 > John P. Burkett wrote:
3 >> Doing revdep-rebuild on an amd64 machine, I received a response
4 >> the included the following lines:
5 >> * All prepared. Starting rebuild
6 >> emerge --oneshot app-text/xpdf:0
7 >> gnome-base/gnome-panel:0
8 >> kde-base/kdegraphics:3.5
9 >> mail-client/-MERGING-evolution:2.0
10 >> media-plugins/gst-plugins-faad:0.8
11 >> media-plugins/xmms-alsa:0
12 >> media-plugins/xmms-vorbis:0
13 >> media-video/totem:0
14 >> ..........
15 >> Calculating dependencies... done!
16 >> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy
17 >> "mail-client/-MERGING-evolution:2.0".
18 >>
19 >> After doing emerge -C evolution, I redid revdep-rebuild but got the same
20 >> response. After doing emerge evolution, I again redid revdep-rebuild,
21 >> with the same results.
22 >>
23 >> Suggestions for how to successfully run revdep-rebuild would be most
24 >> welcome. I'm willing to sacrifice evolution if that would help.
27 > Hmm, somehow portage got the idea there is a package named
28 > mail-client/-MERGING-evolution, which is false.
29 Nick, thank you for the diagnosis.
30 If you are lucky:
31 > emerge -avC mail-client/-MERGING-evolution
32 The systems's response to this was
33 >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
34 --- Couldn't find 'mail-client/-MERGING-evolution' to unmerge.
35 >>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge
39 > Although that could fail, as package names aren't supposed to start with
40 > -, so who knows what portage does with it. Next shot, clear out anything
41 > you don't need (make sure to check the output, although these days this
42 > command is safe unless you have done something strange).
43 > emerge -av --depclean
44 To see what this might do, I tried emerge --pretend -av --depclean.
45 The response identified 163 packages to be removed, none of which appear
46 to be related to mail-client/-MERGING-evolution:2.0.
49 > Final shot is to play around in /var/db/pkg. This is where portage keeps
50 > track of what is installed, and how, so messing around here is
51 > inherently unsafe. I have my suspicions as to the correct thing to do
52 > here, but I won't post it since I'm not terribly sure. Someone with more
53 > expertise could help here, but I suspect either method 1 or 2 will work.
54 In /var/db/pkg I found a directory mail-client/-MERGING-evolution-2.12.1
55 containing the following files
56 CATEGORY COUNTER FEATURES LICENSE SLOT
57 repository
58 CBUILD CXXFLAGS HOMEPAGE NEEDED SRC_URI
59 CFLAGS DEPEND INHERITED PDEPEND USE
60 CHOST DESCRIPTION IUSE PF environment.bz2
61 CONTENTS EAPI KEYWORDS RDEPEND evolution-2.12.1.ebuild
62
63 Unsure what to do next, I'd be grateful for suggestions.
64
65 -John
68 > Nick
74 John P. Burkett