From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where's good old inetd ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:31:50
1 On 6/28/06, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > * Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3 > > Enrico Weigelt wrote:
4 > > >* Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > ><snip>
7 > > >
8 > > >>anyway, why use old inetd at all? xinetd is way more powerful and secure!
9 > > >
10 > > >well, I've already been using it for over 10 years, I never had
11 > > >serious problems with it, and has all I need.
12 > > >So why should I now switch to xinetd ?
13 > >
14 > > It's more modern.
15 >
16 > Ah. Interesting argument.
17 > Because it's quite modern (for the kids) to wear overwide pants,
18 > there's no need to produce tight ones anylonger ?
19 > Great.
20
21 Modern in the computer world = more efficient, robust, better support,
22 continue developing, more features, less security holes.
23
24 Modern in the fashion world = no one can ever put it in words.
27 > > >Wouldn't it make more sense to let "inetd" be an virtual package
28 > > >which can be configured by some useflag to get either classic inetd
29 > > >or xinet in, maybe xinet as default ?
30 > >
31 > > Why? The current way is quite fine, IMO. You can easily select
32 > > which package to install, why depend on some USE flag?
33 >
34 > Following you line of argumentation, the virtual package "inetd"
35 > should be dropped, since people can directly choose "xinetd".
38 <begin MHO>
39 Its not even in portage, people just stopped using it... xinetd has
40 all the functions of it, its like using the old bsh because bash is
41 "modern". I run xinetd in a pentium 100, there's no need for the old
42 inetd unless you still have an old (already installed and configured)
43 workstation running an old OS (but still serving its purpose). Its
44 evolution baby!
45 <end MHO>
48 Daniel da Veiga
49 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil