From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where's good old inetd ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:15:07
1 * Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
2 > Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > >* Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > ><snip>
6 > >
7 > >>anyway, why use old inetd at all? xinetd is way more powerful and secure!
8 > >
9 > >well, I've already been using it for over 10 years, I never had
10 > >serious problems with it, and has all I need.
11 > >So why should I now switch to xinetd ?
12 >
13 > It's more modern.
14
15 Ah. Interesting argument.
16 Because it's quite modern (for the kids) to wear overwide pants,
17 there's no need to produce tight ones anylonger ?
18 Great.
19
20 > >Wouldn't it make more sense to let "inetd" be an virtual package
21 > >which can be configured by some useflag to get either classic inetd
22 > >or xinet in, maybe xinet as default ?
23 >
24 > Why? The current way is quite fine, IMO. You can easily select
25 > which package to install, why depend on some USE flag?
26
27 Following you line of argumentation, the virtual package "inetd"
28 should be dropped, since people can directly choose "xinetd".
31 cu
32 --
33 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
34 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service
35
36 phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
37 fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact@×××××.de
38 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
40 -- DSL ab 0 Euro. -- statische IP -- UUCP -- Hosting -- Webshops --
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list