From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:52:01
1 On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 19/4/2011, at 4:31am, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >> ...
6 >> So, cutting to the chase; can anyone recommend from actual use, a home
7 >> lan router that has gigabit lan ports and very configurable/
8 >> informative logging options?
9 >>
10 >> ps - I'm not interested in running an old linux or openbsd, machine as
11 >> router.  Having a silent cool router the size and weight of a medium
12 >> book is too appealing.
13 >
14 > Consider OpenWRT. You can run it on something like the Netgear WNR2000, the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, or something even cheaper if you don't need wifi.
15
16 I have WZR-HP-G300NH (running DD-WRT), if you don't plan on using wifi
17 it would be great. The wifi is really unstable and I couldn't
18 recommend this device if you're a heavy wifi user, but the wired
19 portion works great, the device itself is by far the fastest I've ever
20 owned, and it has a USB port so you can attach external storage in
21 case you want to use it as a server, too.
22
23 If your wifi users are limited to web browsing/email it would probably
24 be okay for that, but if you do anything with persistent open
25 connections (ssh, gaming, streaming movies) then you'll quickly pull
26 your hair out in frustration at the constant wifi stalls and
27 disconnects.
28
29 The good news about the bad wifi is that the constant negative reviews
30 and dissatisfied customers have forced the price down really low, I
31 got mine for about $50. :)