From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 02:03:49
1 On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 09:50 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Stroller
3 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On 19/4/2011, at 4:31am, Harry Putnam wrote:
6 > >> ...
7 > >> So, cutting to the chase; can anyone recommend from actual use, a home
8 > >> lan router that has gigabit lan ports and very configurable/
9 > >> informative logging options?
10 > >>
11 > >> ps - I'm not interested in running an old linux or openbsd, machine as
12 > >> router. Having a silent cool router the size and weight of a medium
13 > >> book is too appealing.
14 > >
15 > > Consider OpenWRT. You can run it on something like the Netgear WNR2000, the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, or something even cheaper if you don't need wifi.
16 >
17 > I have WZR-HP-G300NH (running DD-WRT), if you don't plan on using wifi
18 > it would be great. The wifi is really unstable and I couldn't
19 > recommend this device if you're a heavy wifi user, but the wired
20 > portion works great, the device itself is by far the fastest I've ever
21 > owned, and it has a USB port so you can attach external storage in
22 > case you want to use it as a server, too.
23 >
24 > If your wifi users are limited to web browsing/email it would probably
25 > be okay for that, but if you do anything with persistent open
26 > connections (ssh, gaming, streaming movies) then you'll quickly pull
27 > your hair out in frustration at the constant wifi stalls and
28 > disconnects.
29 >
30 > The good news about the bad wifi is that the constant negative reviews
31 > and dissatisfied customers have forced the price down really low, I
32 > got mine for about $50. :)
35 I have this device and am using Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std
36 - its been totally stable since I dumped the buffalo firmware. My son
37 plays windoze online games and I often move large files around as well
38 as stream mythtv across it - no problems at all. Until I started
39 powering the systems down at night (power charges went up :) it would
40 stay up for over a month at a time and it was never a crash as to why it
41 was restarted - usually power, or reconfiguration.
42
43 BillK