From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange outbound requests
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:53:50
1 On Friday 20 Jan 2012 19:18:59 Grant wrote:
2 > >> My firewall is blocking periodic outbound connections to port 3680 on
3 > >> a Rackspace IP. How can I find out more about what's going on? Maybe
4 > >> which program is generating the connection requests?
5 > >
6 > > Uh, a packet sniffer?
7 > >
8 > > I have an old laptop here that I have a second (cardbus) network card in.
9 > > Really cheap and cheerful - the sort of thing you can pick up on
10 > > freecycle. It's been a while since I've done anything like this, but you
11 > > should be able to stick a box like that between the router and the rest
12 > > of your network, run Wireshark and filter on that port. If the
13 > > connection is encrypted then at least you'll see the originating IP.
14 >
15 > I've actually got the originating local IP from the shorewall log.
16 > I'm just trying to figure out which program and maybe which user on
17 > that system is generating the outbound requests to port 3680. Is
18 > there any way to get more info without setting up a new box?
19 >
20 > > I don't think it's relevant that the IP belongs to Rackspace - don't they
21 > > just hire (virtual) servers to anyone that wants one?
22 >
23 > Yeah I just meant the request could be going to "anyone".
24 >
25 > - Grant
26
27 Are you running NPDS in your LAN and is it configured to access any sites on
28 rackspace?
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick