From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange outbound requests
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:33:39
1 >> >> My firewall is blocking periodic outbound connections to port 3680 on
2 >> >> a Rackspace IP.  How can I find out more about what's going on?  Maybe
3 >> >> which program is generating the connection requests?
4 >> >
5 >> > Uh, a packet sniffer?
6 >> >
7 >> > I have an old laptop here that I have a second (cardbus) network card in.
8 >> > Really cheap and cheerful - the sort of thing you can pick up on
9 >> > freecycle. It's been a while since I've done anything like this, but you
10 >> > should be able to stick a box like that between the router and the rest
11 >> > of your network, run Wireshark and filter on that port. If the
12 >> > connection is encrypted then at least you'll see the originating IP.
13 >>
14 >> I've actually got the originating local IP from the shorewall log.
15 >> I'm just trying to figure out which program and maybe which user on
16 >> that system is generating the outbound requests to port 3680.  Is
17 >> there any way to get more info without setting up a new box?
18 >>
19 >> > I don't think it's relevant that the IP belongs to Rackspace - don't they
20 >> > just hire (virtual) servers to anyone that wants one?
21 >>
22 >> Yeah I just meant the request could be going to "anyone".
23 >>
24 >> - Grant
25 >
26 > Are you running NPDS in your LAN and is it configured to access any sites on
27 > rackspace?
28 > --
29 > Regards,
30 > Mick
31
32 I am not running NPDS. I looked it up when I was researching port
33 3680 and read about it for the first time. I know which machine is
34 making the requests. Any way to drill down further?
35
36 - Grant