From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lazy gcc switching
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:06:45
1 On 07/21/2010 12:39 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 July 2010 17:49:46 Bill Longman wrote:
3 >> And to play devil's advocate, I'll chime in with my experience. The 4.4
4 >> GCC, at least on AMD CPUs, creates noticeably faster code. I recompiled
5 >> all my packages after I upgraded to 4.4 and it was a noticeable
6 >> difference.
7 >>
8 >> But, to make perfectly clear what Alan and Dale have stated previously,
9 >> it is not a requirement to recompile anything. The binaries that are
10 >> created still call the same system calls as they did before. The kernel
11 >> still publishes them in the same locations. And to prove to yourself
12 >> this is true, grab a statically linked binary, compiled for a stock
13 >> standard i686, and run it on your machine.
14 >
15 > I'd love to be able to experience the speedups of gcc-4.4 and by rights I
16 > should be able to - my last "rip gentoo apart and put it back together again"
17 > stunt needed an emerge -e world to fix it all.
18 >
19 > But, and this is the bit that makes me cry, the slowdown from KDE-4.4.5 has
20 > obliterated all that advantage several times over.....
21 >
22 > raster *really* needs to hurrry up now and release e17
23
24 Might I suggest a small hardware upgrade:
25
26 http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QGi-F.cfm