From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lazy gcc switching
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:12:25
1 On Wednesday 21 July 2010 17:49:46 Bill Longman wrote:
2 > And to play devil's advocate, I'll chime in with my experience. The 4.4
3 > GCC, at least on AMD CPUs, creates noticeably faster code. I recompiled
4 > all my packages after I upgraded to 4.4 and it was a noticeable
5 > difference.
6 >
7 > But, to make perfectly clear what Alan and Dale have stated previously,
8 > it is not a requirement to recompile anything. The binaries that are
9 > created still call the same system calls as they did before. The kernel
10 > still publishes them in the same locations. And to prove to yourself
11 > this is true, grab a statically linked binary, compiled for a stock
12 > standard i686, and run it on your machine.
13
14 I'd love to be able to experience the speedups of gcc-4.4 and by rights I
15 should be able to - my last "rip gentoo apart and put it back together again"
16 stunt needed an emerge -e world to fix it all.
17
18 But, and this is the bit that makes me cry, the slowdown from KDE-4.4.5 has
19 obliterated all that advantage several times over.....
20
21 raster *really* needs to hurrry up now and release e17
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com