From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lazy gcc switching
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:05:56
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 July 2010 17:49:46 Bill Longman wrote:
3 >
4 >> And to play devil's advocate, I'll chime in with my experience. The 4.4
5 >> GCC, at least on AMD CPUs, creates noticeably faster code. I recompiled
6 >> all my packages after I upgraded to 4.4 and it was a noticeable
7 >> difference.
8 >>
9 >> But, to make perfectly clear what Alan and Dale have stated previously,
10 >> it is not a requirement to recompile anything. The binaries that are
11 >> created still call the same system calls as they did before. The kernel
12 >> still publishes them in the same locations. And to prove to yourself
13 >> this is true, grab a statically linked binary, compiled for a stock
14 >> standard i686, and run it on your machine.
15 >>
16 > I'd love to be able to experience the speedups of gcc-4.4 and by rights I
17 > should be able to - my last "rip gentoo apart and put it back together again"
18 > stunt needed an emerge -e world to fix it all.
19 >
20 > But, and this is the bit that makes me cry, the slowdown from KDE-4.4.5 has
21 > obliterated all that advantage several times over.....
22 >
23 > raster *really* needs to hurrry up now and release e17
27 My last KDE upgrade made KDE a little faster here as well. It won't be
28 as fast as e17 tho. Since I upgraded gcc a little before that, I wasn't
29 sure if it was gcc building better code or KDE got rid of some garbage.
30 It is a little faster tho.
31
32 I suspect gcc. When as larger programs ever got faster? I'm sure they
33 added code to KDE, not taking code away. ;-)
34
35 Dale
36