From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fast checksumming of whole partitions
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:42:56
1 On Monday 07 June 2010 19:54:04 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> [10-06-07 20:28]:
3 > > > Does anyone has experiences with gparted?
4 > >
5 > > I have no experience with Parted Magic, but I have used a lot the
6 > > Gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php). No idea on
7 > > how the two compare.
8 > >
9 > > As for gparted (which is a lot more than a gui for parted), I have used
10 > > it on ext4 a couple of times and it managed to complete the copy without
11 > > destroying anything, so I'd say it works. On the other hand, I copied
12 > > *lots* of ext3 and ntfs partitions, and it never failed me.
13 > >
14 > > BTW, by default gparted does *not* do sector-by-sector partition copies.
15 > > In my opinion this is a much better approach if you do not need a
16 > > bit-exact copy of the original (e.g. if you're doing forensics or
17 > > debugging filesystems), but in the end it's up to you.
18 > >
19 > > andrea
20 >
21 > Hi Andreas,
22 >
23 > do I understand right here:
24 > Instead of using dcfldd or simply dd to copy one disk to
25 > another for backup reasons it is much better/faster to use gparted
26 > to simply copy all partitions from sda to sdb using sda1=>sdb1,
27 > sda2=>sdb2,... and so forth?
28 > Is there something like a "batch job" or scripting interface
29 > for gparted so that I can give gparted the complete copy job
30 > once, go to sleep and next moring the copy is done?
31 > Is gparted able to shut down the system after finishing its
32 > work or to end itsself so a little script can detect the
33 > job is done and halt the system then?
34
35 Am I being old-fashioned, or is there anything wrong with rsync (if not
36 tar/star) for this purpose? Make sure to add the relevant option for sparse
37 files and only bits and bytes with data will be copied over. Therefore it
38 will be faster than dd at any rate.
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick