From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fast checksumming of whole partitions
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 18:54:41
1 Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> [10-06-07 20:28]:
2 > > Does anyone has experiences with gparted?
3 >
4 > I have no experience with Parted Magic, but I have used a lot the
5 > Gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php). No idea on
6 > how the two compare.
7 >
8 > As for gparted (which is a lot more than a gui for parted), I have used
9 > it on ext4 a couple of times and it managed to complete the copy without
10 > destroying anything, so I'd say it works. On the other hand, I copied
11 > *lots* of ext3 and ntfs partitions, and it never failed me.
12 >
13 > BTW, by default gparted does *not* do sector-by-sector partition copies.
14 > In my opinion this is a much better approach if you do not need a
15 > bit-exact copy of the original (e.g. if you're doing forensics or
16 > debugging filesystems), but in the end it's up to you.
17 >
18 > andrea
21 Hi Andreas,
22
23 do I understand right here:
24 Instead of using dcfldd or simply dd to copy one disk to
25 another for backup reasons it is much better/faster to use gparted
26 to simply copy all partitions from sda to sdb using sda1=>sdb1,
27 sda2=>sdb2,... and so forth?
28 Is there something like a "batch job" or scripting interface
29 for gparted so that I can give gparted the complete copy job
30 once, go to sleep and next moring the copy is done?
31 Is gparted able to shut down the system after finishing its
32 work or to end itsself so a little script can detect the
33 job is done and halt the system then?
34
35 Best regards,
36 mcc
40 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
41 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
42 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
43 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.