From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fast checksumming of whole partitions
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:32:12
1 > Does anyone has experiences with gparted?
2
3 I have no experience with Parted Magic, but I have used a lot the
4 Gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php). No idea on
5 how the two compare.
6
7 As for gparted (which is a lot more than a gui for parted), I have used
8 it on ext4 a couple of times and it managed to complete the copy without
9 destroying anything, so I'd say it works. On the other hand, I copied
10 *lots* of ext3 and ntfs partitions, and it never failed me.
11
12 BTW, by default gparted does *not* do sector-by-sector partition copies.
13 In my opinion this is a much better approach if you do not need a
14 bit-exact copy of the original (e.g. if you're doing forensics or
15 debugging filesystems), but in the end it's up to you.
16
17 andrea