From: reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo from ext3 to ext4
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:19:49
1 Graham Murray wrote:
2 >
3 > reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 >> yeah, but my /boot is still ext3 and grub IS actually loading the system,
6 >> it
7 >> even runs uvesafb. or is grub even incompatible with ext4
8 >> root-filesystems?
9 >> i thought this was entirely handled by the kernel.
10 >
11 > Grub is not incompatible with ext4 root filesystems as long as you, as
12 > you do, have a separate /boot partition with a 'supported' format. It
13 > works fine here with ext2 /boot and ext4 / - but I converted this using
14 > tune2fs from etx3 rather than creating a new etx4 root (but I did create
15 > a new ext4 /home on a different drive)
20 What you describe is pretty much my setup. I read that converting the FS
21 with tune2fs would not affect the storage of already existing files so i
22 thought it would be better to copy it all over. I also don't have another
23 64bit system with 2.6.28 kernel on my PC, so I tried it this way.
27 Sent from the gentoo-user mailing list archive at Nabble.com.