From: Matt Connell <matt@×××××××.tech>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] google-chrome-103.0.5060 - choose password for new keyring
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 13:34:24
1 > > > By upgrading one of my system, I've just noticed this behaviour is enforced (I think) by new package that was pulled by emerge:
2 > > > [ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/gnome-keyring-42.1  USE="pam ssh-agent (-selinux) -systemd -test"
3
4 > > > I don't use gnome, I use XFCE but I guess one of the package pull this as a dependency.
5
6 Anecdote time from a fellow XFCE user. I previously fought against
7 having gnome-keyring and eventually gave up, since more and more things
8 wanted to use it. Now, I find it quite useful. Lots of GTK
9 applications (and XFCE is GTK based) want to use gnome-keyring, and
10 between evolution, dbeaver, nheko, and others, it has become a benefit
11 (to me) rather than an annoyance.
12
13 If you decide to give it a try, app-crypt/seahorse is a useful
14 companion application for managing the keyring's contents.
17 > Should not this instruction say emerge --pretend  --depclean rather
18 > than --unmerge ?
19
20 Since its pretended, the result is the same, ultimately.