From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [extremly, wildly, obscenely OT] Is there a Linux system without GNU userlands?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:20:28
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-08-10, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 >>> The last time I did a basic FreeBSD install, it included Gnu
5 >>> user-land stuff (e.g. gcc).
6 >> Anything else besides GCC?
7
8 > I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but it's
9 > been a couple years since I've had a FreeBSD system.
10
11 This is pretty easy to find out: they keep all the GNU
12 project stuff separated out in their CVS tree and build
13 environment (for both legal and technical efficiency, I
14 suspect).
15
16 I know there is an ongoing effort to replace any GPL'd
17 userland tools with equivalent BSD licensed ones, but, of
18 course, if the best tool for the job is under the GPL
19 they're going to keep using it. Of the stuff that's still
20 being included, the most items notable GNU projects are:
21
22 binutils/gcc/gdb
23 rcs
24 texinfo
25 groff
26 grep
27
28 They also use several standard, non-GNU GPL'd tools, like
29 cvs, man, and patch.