From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:06:25
1 On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 09:23:38AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:15:09 +0300, Arthur D. wrote:
3 >
4 > > And, yes, I prefer VIM. And I don't like when the package which
5 > > vanilla defaults were always to be using vim as editor is overwritten
6 > > without any notifications and causing the enduser to investigate
7 > > how to fix that.
8 >
9 > Would you have the same argument if the vanilla default was emacs and the
10 > ebuild changed it to vim? All you're complaining about is that a distro
11 > that expects users to configure everything for themselves is expecting
12 > you to add one line to a config file.
13 >
14 > This "problem" could also be fixed by USE flags. Instead of whining why
15 > not submit a patch that has the ebuild respect the vanilla USE flag?
18 USE flags is nice, except ls /usr/portage/app-editors/ | wc -l returns
19 76 packages (give or take a file or two). So we are looking at, uh, ~75
20 USE flags for the sudo ebuild, no counting the editors which aren't in
21 app-editor (like ed, which resides in sys-apps instead of app-editor).
22
23 The number of USE flags would be quite impressive for such a small
24 package.