From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:23:41
1 On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:15:09 +0300, Arthur D. wrote:
2
3 > > A more sensible approach would be for the ebuild to check which ebuild
4 > > satisfies the virtual/editor dependency and set that.
5 >
6 > Not clever. What if there are several editors installed?
7
8 Choose the most appropriate from a defined list.
9
10 > And, yes, I prefer VIM. And I don't like when the package which
11 > vanilla defaults were always to be using vim as editor is overwritten
12 > without any notifications and causing the enduser to investigate
13 > how to fix that.
14
15 Would you have the same argument if the vanilla default was emacs and the
16 ebuild changed it to vim? All you're complaining about is that a distro
17 that expects users to configure everything for themselves is expecting
18 you to add one line to a config file.
19
20 This "problem" could also be fixed by USE flags. Instead of whining why
21 not submit a patch that has the ebuild respect the vanilla USE flag?
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Everybody needs a little love sometime; stop hacking and fall in love!