From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 02:14:55
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 29.05.2016 um 22:15 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 >> On 29/05/2016 19:54, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On 29/05/2016 11:28, Dale wrote:
6 >>>> Well, he did reply. Either his script is still doing it or he did
7 >>>> and he hasn't learned anything yet. It's funny how he is the only
8 >>>> one that has these problems and how he keeps using that disaster of
9 >>>> a script. I don't think anyone has posted a positive thing about
10 >>>> that script. I'm no script guru by any means but even I can read
11 >>>> that thing and see what a disaster it is. Best of luck to him. I'm
12 >>>> about done trying to help. Key word, trying. Dale :-) :-)
13 >> I agree Dale.
14 >>
15 >> Mr Grimes should probably move over to Linux From Scratch. It has none
16 >> of portage's absurdities, makes no effort at all to be helpful to the
17 >> user and allows anyone to write any build automation they feel is
18 >> appropriate. LFS also requires you to watch all the compiler output all
19 >> the time to catch problems; it all seems to match Mr Grimes'
20 >> requirements right down to a tee.
23 >> I'm going to STFU down, go to bed and finish an astonishingly intriguing
24 >> Stephen King book and let the computer get on with doing whatever it
25 >> thinks perl-cleaner fixes.
26 >>
27 > personally, I hope he stays around. His mails and the resulting threads
28 > amuse me.
32 On one hand, it is somewhat funny to read. On the other, it is really
33 silly. Jeez, I've had things go sideways before, hal comes to mind, but
34 I don't use a script like he does and bring it on myself. Heck, I can
35 remember when the update process was emerge sync and emerge -uvp world.
36 Look at list, then remove the -p part. Then pray there was no build
37 failure from a bug. Then portage, both the emerge command and the tree
38 and all its ebuilds, started improving. Slots came along and a whole
39 ton of other things. Nowadays, eix-sync && emerge -uvaDN world and
40 generally, it's ready to update. Once that is done, a little
41 housekeeping and it's done. Of all the problems I have, it is usually
42 something I overlook that I did or just a general build failure.
43 Sometimes a retry gets it going again.
44
45 Thing is, emerge has changed over the years. All of us have adapted to
46 those changes and adapted our own systems and process to what works.
47 Some systems may be fine with a backtrack that is the default. Some may
48 need it set to 30, some 100. Thing is, setting it to 0 to disable it or
49 something, that won't likely work to well. Grimes seems to want to
50 disable some of the new features thinking it will make it easier but
51 it's making it harder. Portage/emerge will do the heavy lifting if you
52 let it.
53
54 Anyway, I'll give it another go or two and after that, he will have to
55 figure it out on his own. I like helping when I can but sometimes, you
56 just have to let them get hungry enough to fish for themselves. lol
57
58 Dale
59
60 :) :-)