From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 21:27:50
1 Am 29.05.2016 um 22:15 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 29/05/2016 19:54, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 29/05/2016 11:28, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
6 >>>>> Den 29. mai 2016 03:17, skrev Gregory Woodbury:
7 >>>>>> WOW!
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>> Alan just wants to start it and walk away, as if Gentoo was a binary
10 >>>>>> distribution
11 >>>>>> that handles it all upstream. He doesn't want to take the time to
12 >>>>>> review what
13 >>>>>> emerge is proposing and see if changes are needed first.
14 >>>>>>
15 >>>>> It IS actually possible to do that, at least for non-critical systems.
16 >>>>> Just make sure to mail yourself with the emerge output, so you can fix
17 >>>>> things before the next automatic run.
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> The point being that you don't have to sit and watch while emerge works.
20 >>>>> You can have the output of any blocks or failures waiting for you in
21 >>>>> your inbox at your convenience.
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> For this to work in a timely fashion you need to stay on stable packages
24 >>>>> as much as possible, and also keep other customizations to a minimum,
25 >>>>> e.g. don't use --autounmask-write.
26 >>>>>
27 >>>> Thing is, that's not what Alan seems to want. Alan wants something like
28 >>>> Ubuntu or something where you tell it to upgrade and then walk away
29 >>>> without checking anything.
30 >>> You are both wrong. What Alan Grimes really wants is an excuse (any
31 >>> excuse) to whine, whinge and bitch about $STUFF.
32 >>>
33 >>> Notice how he never replies to any thread he starts?
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>
37 >> Well, he did reply. Either his script is still doing it or he did and
38 >> he hasn't learned anything yet.
39 >>
40 >> It's funny how he is the only one that has these problems and how he
41 >> keeps using that disaster of a script. I don't think anyone has posted
42 >> a positive thing about that script. I'm no script guru by any means but
43 >> even I can read that thing and see what a disaster it is.
44 >>
45 >> Best of luck to him. I'm about done trying to help. Key word, trying.
46 >>
47 >> Dale
48 >>
49 >> :-) :-)
52 > I agree Dale.
53 >
54 > Mr Grimes should probably move over to Linux From Scratch. It has none
55 > of portage's absurdities, makes no effort at all to be helpful to the
56 > user and allows anyone to write any build automation they feel is
57 > appropriate. LFS also requires you to watch all the compiler output all
58 > the time to catch problems; it all seems to match Mr Grimes'
59 > requirements right down to a tee.
62 > I'm going to STFU down, go to bed and finish an astonishingly intriguing
63 > Stephen King book and let the computer get on with doing whatever it
64 > thinks perl-cleaner fixes.
67 personally, I hope he stays around. His mails and the resulting threads
68 amuse me.