From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good Library Management software
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:50:22
1 On 14 Jul 2008, at 13:06, CJoeB wrote:
2
3 > Eric Martin wrote:
4 >> Before I recreated the wheel, does anybody know of any good
5 >> library management software (preferably in portage)? My wife and
6 >> I are having a hard time keeping track of what books we have, and
7 >> what books we are lending out to people so I figured this would be
8 >> a good way to keep track. Since it's for personal use it doesn't
9 >> have to be anything big. Preferably backended by MySQL as I
10 >> already have a server running for MythTV and Amarok.
11 >>
12 >> I did a few eix searches for portage and came up empty handed, and
13 >> sourceforge.net has a ton of stuff but I was wondering what other
14 >> people use.
15 >
16 > Have you heard of Tellico. It's a collection manager that can be
17 > used for books, music, video ... whatever. It allows you to enter
18 > the name of the book, a graphic if you have one, rate the book and
19 > indicate whether or not it's a gift, how much you paid for it and
20 > if you have lent it out. It *is* in Portage.
21 >
22 > Some information:
23 >
24 > http://periapsis.org/tellico/
25
26 The screenshots of this look really nice, however to me this seems
27 like a really odd motivation for writing a program:
28
29 I started developing it when I couldn't find a personal database
30 program for KDE which didn't using a SQL backend.
31
32 What's wrong with an SQL backend that needs you to re-invent the
33 wheel? I'm not saying there's a better collection manager out there,
34 or that the author's in the wrong for doing it the way he has. But it
35 just seems a little odd, and I'd love for him to explain his reasons
36 more fully.
37
38 Stroller.
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list