From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need networking help. Can't ping google.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:27:08
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On 10 December 2010 09:40, Keith Dart<keith@×××××××××.biz> wrote:
3 >
4 >> === On Fri, 12/10, Dale wrote: ===
5 >>
6 >>> I did this. From smoker, I pinged google. I got the IP address from
7 >>> that. I then tried to ping google BY IP address on lightening. It
8 >>> gives me the error "ping: unknown host 72.14.299.99".
9 >>>
10 >> ===
11 >>
12 >> That's a different error. That is not a valid address.
13 >>
14 >> So then, smoker is your router. But is your DSL modem also a router? Or
15 >> do you have PPPoE terminating in your smoker?
16 >>
17 >> Your DSL modem is probably a router with NAT. It will need a static IP
18 >> address back to your other network, next hop being smoker.
19 >>
20 >> Better would be to get a hub and connect all hosts (including modem, to
21 >> it.
22 >>
23 > As Keith says the easiest thing would be to go buy yourself a better
24 > ADSL router (because I suspect that you are running some cheap
25 > half-bridged ISP router) which will act as your ADSL modem, NAT
26 > router, DNS repeater, and LAN firewall, all-in-one. You should be
27 > able to pick up a cheap cisco or netvanta from ebay.
28 >
29 > However, you ain't going to learn much network-wise if you do that.
30 > So, instead you may want to run something like this on smoker (check
31 > man iptables for details):
32 >
33 > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
34 >
35 > Using the man pages you can add --match<parameters> to only allow
36 > your lightning box to be processed and anything else dropped.
37 >
38 > You will also need to set an additional subnet for your LAN (between
39 > your smoker and lightning boxen).
40 >
41 > So all together it could look like this:
42 >
43 > Smoker:
44 >
45 > NIC eth2
46 >
47 > ip: 192.168.1.X
48 > Netmask : 255.255.255.0
49 > Broadcast: 192.168.1.255
50 > gateway: 192.168.1.254 (that's your ADSL router's IP address)
51 >
52 > for DNS use your ADSL router's IP address (if it acts as a local
53 > resolver) or your ISP's DNS server address, or OpenDNS ip addresses
54 > (google for it).
55 >
56 > Then you need to set up your second smoker NIC like this:
57 >
58 > NIC eth0
59 >
60 > ip: 192.168.2.X (different subnet than your DSL network)
61 > Netmask : 255.255.255.0
62 > Broadcast: 192.168.2.255
63 > gateway: 192.168.1.254 (also your ADSL router's IP address)
64 >
65 > Finally, on your lightning box you need this:
66 >
67 > NIC ethX
68 >
69 > ip: 192.168.2.XX (same subnet as your eth0 NIC on smoker, but
70 > different IP of course)
71 > Netmask : 255.255.255.0
72 > Broadcast: 192.168.2.255
73 > gateway: 192.168.2.X (same as the IP of your eth0 NIC on smoker)
74 >
75 > for DNS set up /etc/resolv.conf on lightning the same as for smoker above.
76 >
77 > The above should hopefully work.
81 OK. I had a LONG day yesterday. I took a nap. I was getting a little
82 goofy here. Before I try all this, what is the best way to "undo"
83 everything I have done with this so far? I ask because I have tried two
84 scripts and I don't know what all has been changed and what state things
85 are in.
86
87 I also noticed this. When I have lightening hooked to smoker and smoker
88 hooked to the modem, I can't get to the internet until I restart eth2
89 which is what connects smoker to the modem. It acts like it is trying
90 to use eth0 instead of eth2.
91
92 The modem I have is a Motorola Netopia 2210-02. I took that info from
93 the home page of the modem. Just looking at it, it's the little silver
94 colored thing and I did pay almost $80.00 for that thing. It also says
95 it has a DNS server and it is on.
96
97 Thanks
98