From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need networking help. Can't ping google.
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:04:18
1 On Friday 10 December 2010 18:25:14 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 <snip ...>
5
6 > > The above should hopefully work.
7 >
8 > OK. I had a LONG day yesterday. I took a nap. I was getting a little
9 > goofy here. Before I try all this, what is the best way to "undo"
10 > everything I have done with this so far? I ask because I have tried two
11 > scripts and I don't know what all has been changed and what state things
12 > are in.
13
14 To flush your iptable rules you can run:
15
16 /sbin/iptables -F
17
18 -F, --flush [chain]
19 Flush the selected chain (all the chains in the table if none is
20 given). This is equivalent to deleting all the rules one by
21 one.
22
23 If you only want to flush one chain (e.g. OUTPUT) then run:
24
25 /sbin/iptables -F OUTPUT
26
27 Running /sbin/iptables -L -v -n before and after will show you what rules are
28 there and what are deleted.
29
30 Iptables scripts usually run --flush to clear out any previous rules before
31 they add their own.
32
33 You can edit any such script to add the MASQUERADE target I suggested
34 previously in the POSTROUTING chain (following the syntax of the particular
35 script).
38 > I also noticed this. When I have lightening hooked to smoker and smoker
39 > hooked to the modem, I can't get to the internet until I restart eth2
40 > which is what connects smoker to the modem. It acts like it is trying
41 > to use eth0 instead of eth2.
42
43 ... and I bet that the routes do not look like what you posted in your first
44 message.
45
46 Your current routes are not correctly configured. The fact that it is trying
47 to use eth0 may be related to the ethX number? i.e. it starts from the lowest
48 number and it works it's way up. You can delete your net udev rules and
49 reboot to change these (or manually edit your udev rules). Either way, adapt
50 my previous instructions for your respective NIC numbers.
53 > The modem I have is a Motorola Netopia 2210-02. I took that info from
54 > the home page of the modem. Just looking at it, it's the little silver
55 > colored thing and I did pay almost $80.00 for that thing. It also says
56 > it has a DNS server and it is on.
57
58 It looks like a well spec'ed single port modem and ADSL router. Since it is
59 running a DNS repeater you can set in your /etc/resolv.conf files the IP of
60 your router as the DNS server - if it doesn't pick it up on its own.
63 Regards,
64 Mick