From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 20:06:20
1 On 8/18/20 1:00 AM, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > not specifically with a mail provider, but with other i.t. services,
3 > yes. and since they're all humans, then the simplest model that
4 > explains this is that this is about humans in general, and same past
5 > experience would extend to mail provider's admins.
6
7 To each their own.
8
9 > yes. smtp is nasty, and also redundant.
10
11 I disagree.
12
13 Simple Mail Transfer /Protocol/, as in the application layer language
14 spoken between mail servers is fairly elegant.
15
16 What is done on top of that and with the data that goes back and forth
17 is far more iffy.
18
19 I also disagree that SMTP is redundant. I'm not aware of anything else
20 nearly as ubiquitous as SMTP for getting messages between systems in a
21 fault tolerant manner.
22
23 > makes me wonder if i should just create me a hidden tor service that
24 > is just a normal website, and give its url to people (instead of email)
25 > who want to message me by telling them ``submit your messages to me''.
26
27 So you want to change from a ubiquitous protocol that is supported by
28 many Many MANY devices to niche protocol that has a non-trivial
29 installation / configuration curve.
30
31 > then, verify messages by mailing their supplied email a confirmation
32 > message.
33
34 And then you want to take what people send you, turn around and send
35 unsolicited messages based on it — this is the icing on the cake — using
36 the protocol that you are trying to avoid.
37
38 It's only a matter of time before someone uses your Tor hidden service
39 as a vector to send spam. — Joe Job comes to mind.
44 Grant. . . .
45 unix || die