From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 07:01:02
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Monday, August 17, 2020 8:00 PM, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On 8/16/20 10:50 PM, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
5 > > 3. vps admin is not trusty and their sys admin may read my emails,
6 > > and laugh at me!
7 >
8 > Do you have any (anecdotal) evidence that this has actually happened?
9
10 not specifically with a mail provider, but with
11 other i.t. services, yes. and since they're all
12 humans, then the simplest model that explains this
13 is that this is about humans in general, and same
14 past experience would extend to mail provider's
15 admins.
16
17 > Well, seeing as how you're talking about email, the biggest elephant in
18 > the room is SMTP's default of unencrypted communications path. It's
19 > realtively easy to add support for encryption, but more systems than I'm
20 > comfortable with don't avail themselves of the optional encryption for
21 > some reason. Sure, it's possible to configure many receiving SMTP
22 > servesr to require it from specific sending systems and / or sending
23 > domains. But this is effort you have to expend to enact these restrictions.
24
25 yes. smtp is nasty, and also redundant.
26
27 makes me wonder if i should just create me a
28 hidden tor service that is just a normal website,
29 and give its url to people (instead of email) who
30 want to message me by telling them ``submit your
31 messages to me''. then, verify messages by
32 mailing their supplied email a confirmation
33 message.