From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:32:17
1 On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 07:00:52AM +0000, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > yes. smtp is nasty, and also redundant.
3
4 S.M.T.P. is extremely well-established, and has always been a reasonably
5 pleasant experience for me. Which part of the protocol makes you think of it as
6 "nasty"?
7
8 > makes me wonder if i should just create me a
9 > hidden tor service that is just a normal website,
10 > and give its url to people (instead of email) who
11 > want to message me by telling them ``submit your
12 > messages to me''. then, verify messages by
13 > mailing their supplied email a confirmation
14 > message.
15
16 That doesn't make any sense. Setting up e-mail is a fair challenge, but nothing
17 can replace it in terms of interoperability and convenience. Perhaps the younger
18 generation (of whom I am unfortunately a part) would almost-unanimously
19 disagree, but your proposed solution doesn't really provide greater ease for
20 you, or the people e-mailing you!
24 Ashley Dixon
25 suugaku.co.uk
28 DA96 D18A