From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntfs-3g problem (I suppose) - locking system
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:58:19
1 On Friday 15 Mar 2013 01:18:03 Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > During some months now, this machine was (and still is, sometimes)
5 > suffering from a strange progressive lock down. It always has begun with
6 > the web browser, passing to the whole X environment, and finally I could
7 > not even use a console.
8 >
9 > After several trial and error actions, as no log entry could give any hint
10 > on what is going on, it seems that I found something consistent.
11 >
12 > This machine is a dual-boot Linux/Windows, as my wife once in a while needs
13 > to work on a Windows O.S. . The lock down starts when she saves a file
14 > received by e-mail in a ntfs-3g mounted partition, so that file would also
15 > be accessible whenever she uses Windows.
16 >
17 > The reason why I suspect of ntfs-3g is that when the lock down starts, that
18 > is, if only the web browser locks, just unmounting (and mounting back
19 > later) that partition, recovers the web browser functionality. Sometimes,
20 > when the lock down has already affected the whole graphic environment, but
21 > I still may use a console, again unmounting that same partition also
22 > unlocks everithing.
23 >
24 > I have already tried to emerge ntfs-3g with different use flags, but the
25 > problem persists. Even built a new kernel and re-emerged ntfs-3g after
26 > that. Now ntfs-3g package is using its own "fuse".
27 >
28 > I would really appreciate any hints on what to do or where to look for any
29 > more information on this subject. Perhaps I am still looking at an effect,
30 > and not the cause.
31 >
32 > Thanks
33 > Francisco
34
35 It could be a number of things, but would start with the basics, checking that
36 there is adequate space in the partition and that the fs has been defragmented
37 (Windows 7 defrag application is quite effective and for WinXP there is
38 mydefrag). While you have booted into MSWindows, you might as well run
39 chkdsk.
40
41 Other than that, uou could try the 'big_writes' mount option in ntfs-3g
42 which may make a difference.
43 --
44 Regards,
45 Mick