From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntfs-3g problem (I suppose) - locking system
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 01:34:16
1 2013/3/15 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
2
3 > On Friday 15 Mar 2013 01:18:03 Francisco Ares wrote:
4 > > Hello.
5 > >
6 > > During some months now, this machine was (and still is, sometimes)
7 > > suffering from a strange progressive lock down. It always has begun with
8 > > the web browser, passing to the whole X environment, and finally I could
9 > > not even use a console.
10 > >
11 > > After several trial and error actions, as no log entry could give any
12 > hint
13 > > on what is going on, it seems that I found something consistent.
14 > >
15 > > This machine is a dual-boot Linux/Windows, as my wife once in a while
16 > needs
17 > > to work on a Windows O.S. . The lock down starts when she saves a file
18 > > received by e-mail in a ntfs-3g mounted partition, so that file would
19 > also
20 > > be accessible whenever she uses Windows.
21 > >
22 > > The reason why I suspect of ntfs-3g is that when the lock down starts,
23 > that
24 > > is, if only the web browser locks, just unmounting (and mounting back
25 > > later) that partition, recovers the web browser functionality. Sometimes,
26 > > when the lock down has already affected the whole graphic environment,
27 > but
28 > > I still may use a console, again unmounting that same partition also
29 > > unlocks everithing.
30 > >
31 > > I have already tried to emerge ntfs-3g with different use flags, but the
32 > > problem persists. Even built a new kernel and re-emerged ntfs-3g after
33 > > that. Now ntfs-3g package is using its own "fuse".
34 > >
35 > > I would really appreciate any hints on what to do or where to look for
36 > any
37 > > more information on this subject. Perhaps I am still looking at an
38 > effect,
39 > > and not the cause.
40 > >
41 > > Thanks
42 > > Francisco
43 >
44 > It could be a number of things, but would start with the basics, checking
45 > that
46 > there is adequate space in the partition and that the fs has been
47 > defragmented
48 > (Windows 7 defrag application is quite effective and for WinXP there is
49 > mydefrag). While you have booted into MSWindows, you might as well run
50 > chkdsk.
51 >
52 > Other than that, uou could try the 'big_writes' mount option in ntfs-3g
53 > which may make a difference.
54 > --
55 > Regards,
56 > Mick
60 I didn't try to defragment that partition, yet. I can't believe that
61 ntfs-3g would not take care of fragmentation, but I will do a defrag just
62 in case ;-)
63
64 Will try that "big_writes" too.
65
66 Thanks
67 Francisco
68 --
69 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
70 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
71 one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
72 - George Bernard Shaw