From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4 bugs update
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:04:14
1 On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 090929 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> The one exception is Konsole, which is a shadow of 3.5.10 ,
5 >> According to changelog the KDE4 version of Konsole has added :
6 >
7 > Quick reactions, further advice welcome :
8 >
9 >> automatic tab titles (shows current directory) -- trivial
10 >> split screen mode -- yes, mb useful, but similar to tabs
11 >> performance increase on scrolling large terminals -- don't need it
12 >> better profile set-up dialogs -- yes, but they still don't work properly
13 >> runs all Konsole sessions from a single process -- useful for what ?
14 >> can use personalized profile in embedded Konsoles -- don't need it
15 >> easy SSH session bookmarking -- can't find it
16 >> much improved search -- no sign of it (present in 3.5.10)
17 >> real transparency -- don't need it
18 >> new themes -- don't need them (I use Fluxbox)
19 >> open your GUI file manager in the current directory -- trivial
20 >> mouse-wheel scrolls pgms that don't naturally support it (eg Less) -- yes
21 >
22 > So yes, a couple of small items I mt use occasionally.
23 >
24 >> What's missing from the 3.x series ?
25 >
26 > A much longer list of schemas, start root console, search (see above),
27 > set window geometry (inside Konsole or when starting it: see my bug list).
28 >
29 > I am hopeful the KDE devs will restore more with 4.4.1 & 4.5.1 ,
30 > but it hasn't happened yet.
31
32 Hi,
33
34 Points well taken; I don't use the features you're missing and
35 honestly I don't use most of the new ones either. :) "Open Browser
36 Here" is the most useful one to me (it even works in Midnight
37 Commander relative to which pane is currently active).
38
39 In re-reading my previous message to you in this thread I hope it
40 didn't seem confrontational to you, or if it led people to pile on,
41 that was not my intention at all. I was simply curious what was
42 missing since the few features I use seemed to have gone unchanged or
43 been improved. So my apologies in case you took it that way. Often
44 I'll write short, direct e-mails on these lists while I'm on a phone
45 call or doing other things and sometimes lack the forethought or
46 communication skills necessary to convey the
47 almost-certainly-always-good-spirited nature of my question. :)
48
49 Thanks
50 Paul